- Best Boat Oxidation Removers (Top Picks)
- What is Boat Oxidation?
- How does Boat Oxidation Occur?
- Can Oxidation be Prevented?
- Benefits of Using a Boat Oxidation Remover
- How to Use a Boat Oxidation Remover?
- Will my Boat Surface Always Recover after the Use of an Oxidation Remover?
- Best Boat Oxidation Remover Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Boat maintenance doesn’t start and end with using soap water. There are other threats to the surface of your beloved vessel, and we are here to tell you about them. Okay, maybe we will also tell you how to defeat them. Let’s begin by looking at the best boat oxidation remover out there.
Every owner of an aluminum or a fiberglass boat will have to solve this problem. Luckily, we will show you which are the top boat oxidation removers in our reviews and will also give you a handbook on how to pick the right one.
Stick with us and see additional tips and pointers regarding the use of such substances, their correct application as well as what features to look for. Enjoy the guide.
Meguiar’s Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
||View On Amazon|
3M Marine Restorer & Wax
||View On Amazon|
Poli Glow Kit
||View On Amazon|
3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound
||View On Amazon|
Boater’s EDGE Cleaner Wax
||View On Amazon|
McKee’s 37 Marine & RV Oxidation Remover
||View On Amazon|
ProtectAll Oxidation Remover and Color Restorer
||View On Amazon|
STAR BRITE Oxidation & Scratch Remover
||View On Amazon|
Best Boat Oxidation Removers (Top Picks)
This is where we begin the article, and needless to say, that’s the essential section. See the products we have handpicked and keep in mind that we haven’t arranged them in any order.
1. Meguiar’s Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
If you’re looking for a marine oxidation remover from a company that knows their stuff, then you may find this as the ideal one for you. Meguiar has been on the market for marine and land vehicle products for over 115 years. Their heavy-duty oxidation remover is only 0,16 fl. ounces, but it’s powerful and efficient.
This remover can get rid of light and moderate oxidation from various surfaces. You can use it on fiberglass, gel-coat, or high-tech paint surfaces. What is more, this product doesn’t only remove oxidation. It also gets rid of stains and light scratches. You can rely on this marine cleaner to also get rid of hard water stains from your vehicle.
You can use this product on a boat, an RV, or any gel-coat surface. What is more, this remover doesn’t damage graphics on the area that you treat. It’s possible to remove even heavy oxidation with cautious work.
- You can use this remover with a machine or by hand.
- This cleaner restores the shine and gloss of the surface.
- The formula contains diminishing abrasives, and it doesn’t leave scratches on the surface.
- Not suitable for vinyl and decals.
2. 3M Marine Restorer & Wax
The 3M Marine Restorer & Wax does several things to your boat. It can remove oxidation, bring back the original color and gloss, and, most importantly, protect the surface from deterioration caused by Sun rays. You can purchase this product in two sizes, a 16 or a 32-fluid ounce bottle.
For small areas or light oxidation, you can work by hand. But for heavy decomposition or large areas, such as a boat, you should use a buffer. Also, for such instances, you may need two applications of this restorer.
This product has a unique double-duty function – it removes corrosion and waxes the surface at the same time. Thus, with one-time scrubbing you get two treatments done. However, do not worry if there are plastic parts on your boat. As long as you go carefully over them, the plastic should be fine.
What surfaces you can treat with this restorer are fiberglass, gel-coat, and some aluminum. We recommend you always test the product on a small area before proceeding with the treatment.
- UV rays protection.
- Safe to use on graphics.
- It’s suitable for heavy oxidation, water spots, scratches, stains.
- This product can be used to treat the hull, the deck, and the gunwale of the boat.
- You must wear protective gear, most importantly, a respirator.
3. Poli Glow Kit
Poli Glow kit consists of one 32 fl. oz. bottle prep concentrate, one 32 fl. oz. bottle of polisher, one microfiber mitt applicator, a scrub pad with a handle, and a pair of gloves. The concentrate must be diluted with water before using it at 1:1 proportions. This mixture should be enough to cover a 32-foot boat or an RV.
This product gets rid of oxidation, exhaust stains, wax build-up. You can treat various surfaces with both the concentrate and the polisher, like fiberglass, gel coating. Use protective gear when you begin your work. Overall, you’ll find that it’s quite easy to use this product. All you need is a strong hand to scrub vigorously.
You can use the Poli Glow kit to treat the interior of your boat or RV as long as the surfaces are fiberglass. However, you should keep in mind that on exterior surfaces the results last for about a year. What this means is that if you treat a high-traffic interior area, the effect will wear off quickly.
- The formula has injected UV inhibitors to prevent yellowing.
- It’s safe for graphics, decals, vinyl, and plastic.
- Everything you need is included in the kit.
- You must apply a minimum of 4 coats to achieve the desired look.
4. 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound
This 3M heavy- duty oxidation remover efficiently gets rid of chalking, light scratches, weathering, and dulling. It comes in a 32-fluid ounce bottle, and that must be enough to coat a 30-foot boat. The company offers a series of products for marine care. This cutting compound is the first step in boat nurturing, and eliminates many impurities.
Since this product doesn’t contain wax, it leaves the surface ready for the next step. The formula is powerful and removes heavy oxidation and gunk. Thus it leaves smooth surfaces ready to be polished and waxed. Because of the strong formula, little effort is required on your part.
This cleaner is suitable for RVs, fiberglass, boats, and any gel-coat surfaces. Do not use this cleaner on aluminum or painted surfaces. We advise you to test the product on a tiny area before you begin the application. Although the price is a bit higher than other products, this cleaner is worth it. Because of the powerful formula, little effort is required on your part.
- The 3M Perfect-It oxidation remover can be used by hand or a buffer.
- It has a long wet time, which allows you more time to clean it up.
- Designed to eliminate severe cases of oxidation and impurities.
- This compound doesn’t add a glowing finish on the treated area.
5. Boater’s EDGE Cleaner Wax
Boater’s EDGE is a cleaner wax that does three things with one application. This product is efficient in cleaning, polishing, and protecting fiberglass and metal surfaces. It’s available in a 16-fluid ounce bottle and is made in the USA. You can use it to fix your boat, car, or RV. As usual, we suggest you test the product on a small area first.
If you need a product that does more than removing rust, this can be the one for you. The cleaner can remove light and medium oxidation easily. For severe levels of corrosion, you may have to do more than one application.
The directions are on the back and are straightforward. You apply with rubbing motions, let dry to a haze, and then wipe it off. This cleaner should be able to remove stains as well.
- UV inhibitors protect the treated surface against fading, yellowing, and chalking.
- The formula prevents water and oil-based stains.
- This product is suitable for clear and painted surfaces.
- No need for hard rubbing.
- You can work by hand or with a buffer.
- Only available in one size, this isn’t very convenient if you need to treat a large surface.
6. McKee’s 37 Marine & RV Oxidation Remover
Here is a product from a company that specializes in marine and RV care products. This is McKee’s 37 Marine & RV oxidation remover, and it is available in two sizes – 16-fluid ounce and a 128-fluid ounce.
The formula is designed to eliminate severe oxidation, scratches, stains, and yellowing from your boat, RV, or car. This oxidation remover contains diminishing abrasives and lubricating oils. The former cuts deep through grime and rust and eliminates them, while the latter nourishes the gel-coat and leaves it scratch-free and shining.
As the name of the product suggests, it’s a heavy cut oxidation remover, meaning it’s a quite powerful formula. Despite that, the price is quite reasonable and affordable.
The manufacturer recommends using either a dual-action or a rotary polisher for the best results. We, too, suggest you find a proper machine to use because you will have a hard time working with this product by hand.
- You can treat your RV windshield with this cleaner.
- This product does not damage graphics.
- With this cleaner, you can remove faded decals residues.
- The unique formula ensures a long buffing cycle and effortless wipe off.
- Not suitable for bass boats.
7. ProtectAll Oxidation Remover and Color Restorer
With this cleaner and color restorer from ProtectAll, you can give your boat or RV three treatments at once. Surprisingly enough, this product comes in large size of 64 fl. oz. but it’s not expensive at all. This quantity is enough to treat a 30-foot boat or motorhome.
The formula is moderately strong and also abrasive. That’s what makes is efficient in removing not only light to medium levels of oxidation but also scratches and wax build-up.
Furthermore, the polishing feature of this liquid restores the color and shine of the surface. Like the rest of the products on our list, this, too, can be used on fiberglass and gel-coat. For maximum results and fewer efforts on your side, you can use a buffer.
- One solution for cleaning, polishing, and sealing.
- It’s suitable for machine or hand use.
- The color and shine restoration have long-lasting effects.
- You can use this to treat enamel and polyurethane aluminum.
- This product is not recommended for clear coat finishes.
8. STAR BRITE Oxidation & Scratch Remover
This STAR BRITE product is a medium-duty cleaner that works on fiberglass. Its primary purpose is to remove dirt, grime, and scratches, but it also restores the original color and gloss of the surface. The rubbing compound is abrasive and may leave scratches on painted surfaces and metal. Also, the instructions on the bottle recommend using a polish after the oxidation remover.
If you need to get rid of light to medium oxidation and grime from your boat or RV, this is the compound you need. On the other hand, if you have to treat the heavily oxidized surface, there’s another product from the STAR BRITE series that is designed for that.
On the whole, this marine cleaning product has excellent oxidation and scratches removal features. Also, it is at a reasonable price and, all in all, cost-efficient. You may use this liquid sparingly because a small amount goes a long way and is enough for a large area.
- Made with biodegradable formula.
- This compound doesn’t set quickly, thus giving you enough time to remove it.
- You can remove oxidation from a car bumper.
- It can be applied with a buffer or by hand.
- This is only available in a 16-fluid ounce bottle.
What is Boat Oxidation?
Wiping clean your boat is not enough for you to say that you have taken reasonable care of the vessel. The reason why a bucket of water and a mop aren’t enough for the proper care of a boat is evident in our boat detailing section of the Marine Mag website.
There we have created guides on getting the top products for every aspect of boat maintenance. Once you go through our work, you will quickly find out that many threats lurk around, and by that, we mean corrosion, filth, denting, scratches, etc.
Every problem can be remedied, but we need to put the correct diagnosis first. So how do we tell that we got boat oxidation on our hands?
Well, for starters, your boat will start losing some of its shine. The term professionals use “chalking”. This is what appears on the surface of the vessel, and it is a sure sign of oxidation. Also, yellowish stains may signal that it is time to obtain one of the products we have reviewed above.
How does Boat Oxidation Occur?
Every metal interacting with air will oxidize. Depending on the type of metal, the effects will be different. Heavy cast iron parts start rusting, but aluminum starts showing this chalky film on its surface.
It is highly essential to know that if you have a wooden boat, you got nothing to worry about as oxidation isn’t possible between wood and oxygen. Wooden boats, however, have another weakness, and it’s waterproofing. You want the surface to be perfectly sealed, so we recommend reading our expert reviews of the top marine epoxy money can buy.
Some residue will also be found on fiberglass surfaces over time. Even though fiberglass isn’t technically a metal, it will still show wear when exposed to sun and air. If you own a kayak or a canoe, it is likely made out of fiberglass. This article will also be useful for you because learning how to remove heavy oxidation from fiberglass will be quite handy.
Can Oxidation be Prevented?
The short answer is yes and no. It is pretty much impossible to battle Mother Nature, but you can slow down this process. Not the battling, but the oxidation. The most important part is identifying the presence of oxidation. Here’s how you can “catch” the three main stages on time.
- Early oxidation signals. Your boat will start losing its shine. The surface will look somewhat dull and won’t be sparkly at all. Now, the reasons for this may be various, and a good old wash of the vessel may just do the trick.
Many times, some dust and debris represent the reason for the not so attractive look of your boat. Not everything will be related to oxidation, especially if your vessel is relatively new.
- The second coming of oxidation. Here you should perhaps start thinking of using a specific product to remove oxidation. You will be able to tell you need one because the shine will not be back even after a thorough scrubbing.
To make sure you clean your boat correctly, we recommend having a glance at our reviews of the most distinguished boat wash products on the market. See all the detergents we have outlined, use some of them, and then you will know that your boat is clean for sure. Again, if that fails to impress you, then we are talking about oxidation.
- Heavy Oxidation. It’s not too late to save your boat, but this is pretty much the red flag you don’t want to see. Your hull will start showing a film on its surface. If it’s a fiberglass boat, the oxidation will be represented by a gritty substance. At this stage, the only way to remove this chalk is by polishing the vessel with the correct product.
Benefits of Using a Boat Oxidation Remover
It is clear that you can’t leave your boat to rot outside. Actions need to be taken, and your best shot is obtaining an oxidation remover to do the job. Here are all the things you will achieve after making this smart purchase and start maintaining your Gelcoat properly.
- Deposits and chalky substances will be removed. You never want anything on the surface of your boat’s hull. No yellowish stains will be present, and your boat will start shining again.
- Oxidation removers can bring old boats back to life. Unless there is irreparable damage done to the boat, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to breathe new life into it.
- The application of an oxidation remover is a must when you want to polish your boat afterward. For you to put the final touches, you must be sure that there is zero oxidation on the surface of your boat.
- Sometimes an oxidation remover is enough, and no use of additional products is required. See for yourself. If you like the shine of your boat, then don’t treat it with anything else after the oxidation remover.
- Simplicity is key. The whole process of applying oxidation remover barely requires any prep or knowledge. You need a couple of tools, and you will be ready to go.
How to Use a Boat Oxidation Remover?
We will now go through the simple process of applying an oxidation remover on your boat.
- Identify the level of oxidation you have. A couple of sections earlier, we mentioned the three primary levels of oxidation. To a large extent, this will determine the type of product you need. Newer boats with light levels of oxidation will require a light-duty product. Heavy-duty removers are to be sued only if the severity of the oxidation is high.
- Once you are comfortable with what product you will use, wipe clean your boat using a simple rag or a mop. Apply water and some detergent if you wish, but make sure the hull is dry before commencing with the remover.
- Pick the correct detailing tool. Oxidation removers are best applied using an electric cleaner. We don’t recommend doing everything by hand, especially if you got a lot of areas to cover. Use a buffer, and it will make all the difference in the world. Look for a buffer with as much fluff and softness as possible. Remember, we need to be as gentle to the boat as possible. Something that rotates in a random direction and has a foam wool pad will do the trick.
- After you are done buffing, nothing stops you from wiping the surface with a dry rag. That’s it, you are done!
Will my Boat Surface Always Recover after the Use of an Oxidation Remover?
There will definitely be some sort of improvement, but after many years of use, you cannot expect a boat to look as if you’ve just purchased it. Over time, the shine may stop coming back, but one thing is for sure, the hull will be in good shape.
The bottom line is for the body of your boat to be healthy and stable. If you care about the gleam of the hull, then we recommend also looking at our professional reviews of select boat polishes. Polishing the boat after buffing it will significantly help.
Best Boat Oxidation Remover Comparison Chart
|Meguiar's Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover||$||16 oz.||Brilliant shine and gloss and oils restore formula||Safe and effective by hand or by machine|
|3M Marine Restorer & Wax||$$||16 oz.||Double-duty formula||Special blend of waxes adds a layer of protection|
|Poli Glow Kit||$$$$||32 oz.||Water-based polymer formula||Lasts for over 12 months|
|3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound||$$$||1 Quart||Fastest-cutting gelcoat formula||Safe and effective by hand or by machine|
|Boater's EDGE Cleaner Wax||$||16 oz.||UV inhibitors protect formula||Repels water and oil-based stains|
|McKee’s 37 Marine & RV Oxidation Remover||$$||16 oz.||Diminishing abrasives and lubricating oils||Long buffing cycle and effortless wipe off|
|ProtectAll Oxidation Remover and Color Restorer||$$||64 oz.||Abrasive liquid polish and wax formula||One solution for cleaning, polishing, and sealing|
|STAR BRITE Oxidation & Scratch Remover||$||16 oz.||Liquid formula||Safe and effective by hand or by machine|
Now that we have armed you with all the information you need, the only two things left for you to do are to get the product you most desire and get to work. We at the Marine Mag hope to have steered you in the right direction, and we also think that our advice will be helpful in your endeavors.
Leave us a comment or let us know what you think about our reviews of the boat oxidation removers. We love getting feedback from our readers. See our other articles related to boat maintenance and spread the word. Thanks for reading!