- Best Boat Hull Cleaner (Top List 2020)
- Who Needs a Boat Hull Cleaner? What are the Benefits?
- The Most Popular Types of Boat Hull Cleaners
- Features of Boat Hull Cleaners to Watch For
- How to Clean a Boat Hull
- What Can I Use to Clean my Boat Hull?
- Best Boat Hull Cleaners Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Nobody likes cleaning, but is there any of our possession that can go by without sanitation? No, and this is especially true when it comes to your boat. while we can’t teach you how to avoid washing your vessel, we can point you in the direction of the best boat hull cleaner on the market.
All you have to do is scroll down and see the section with the reviews of boat hull cleaners that we have prepared. But don’t stop there because our Marine Mag team has also prepared a thorough guide on how to find the most appropriate product for your needs. Don’t wait, read away!
Star Bite Instant Hull Cleaner
||View On Amazon|
Marykate On & Off Hull & Bottom
||View On Amazon|
Better Boat Hull Cleaner
||View On Amazon|
Star Brite Hull & Cleaner
||View On Amazon|
Boater’s EDGE Hull Cleaner
||View On Amazon|
Star Brite Aluminum Cleaner and Restorer
||View On Amazon|
Best Boat Hull Cleaner (Top List 2020)
After spending plenty of time researching, we have narrowed down the most excellent cleaners to the ones present on this list. Enjoy!
1. Star Bite Instant Hull Cleaner
Thanks to using oxalic acid as a cleaning agent, this Star Bite cleaner removes all kinds of stains and grime. The product has proved to work very well on different types of painted surfaces or fiberglass. You will be surprised at how effective it is against rust, waterline, yellowish, or leaf stains. Indisputably the top benefit of this cleaner is that it won’t harm the surface that is treated with it.
Most people use this product as preparation for hull polishing. You should be aware that this cleaner, like any other else, will damage the bottom paint, so it is advisable not to try to clean it.
Don’t worry that the cleaning agent will harm the grass you put the hull on. When you rinse this product off the hull, it dilutes to such an extent that it isn’t that harmful to the grass. To be on the safe side, it is recommended to wet the lawn before you apply the Star Bite cleaner.
- One of the many advantages of this product is that it is very effective at removing all stains off the hull of the boat.
- The cleaner is used as a hull polishing preparation.
- Its formula is less aggressive than the one of other similar products.
- You can use this cleaner on different painted surfaces and fiberglass.
- There is a big chance that this cleaner will harm the surface under the boat. So you are advised to use a drop cloth or to rinse it frequently to avoid dripping or spilling it.
- The cleaner can discolor boat bottom paint.
2. Marykate On & Off Hull & Bottom
This Marykate product eliminates even the toughest rust, algae, gas exhaust, or waterline stains. You can be sure that this solution won’t harm the gel coat you use it on.
The application of this detergent is pretty easy – you don’t need to scrub, just rinse it. The longer you leave the cleaner on the surface, the more effective it will be. Try to dry the hull before you apply this detergent. Keep in mind that it is advisable to use this cleaner only on fiberglass.
If you don’t want to inhale the chemical odor of this product, it is recommendable to cover your face and nose with a mask, or any other protective gear. Make sure that the cleaner doesn’t drip on your skin, as it may burn you. For this purpose, it is a useful idea to wear gloves. Do not use this solution inside the boat as the fumes it produces are very harmful.
- This solution does an excellent job at removing all kinds of stains from fiberglass.
- Applying the product is very easy – you just need to leave it for some time on the surface and then rinse it off.
- Don’t be afraid to use this detergent on gel coat as it won’t get damaged.
- The cleaner reacts very well with organic matter, such as the barnacle on the hull of your boat.
- Be careful when applying this chemical as it produces a strong smell, which is harmful. So it is advisable to wear a mask.
3. Better Boat Hull Cleaner
The premium quality of this cleaner makes it one of the top products available at the market. Its manufacturers made sure that this solution meets high standards. Thanks to its special formula, this chemical removes waterline, algae, grease, and gas exhaust stains and grime, hard water, and lime deposits.
Unlike other hull cleaners, this one can safely be used on fiberglass, metal, painted surfaces, and gel coat. Moreover, this solution restores surfaces that have lost their color. In addition to this, it removes the stains instantly and effortlessly. You can easily apply this product just by using a sponge or sprayer. Two minutes will be enough for the detergent to eliminate the grime deposits and all kinds of stains. After that, you only need to rinse the chemical off.
Better Boat provides a 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the product.
- It is safe to use this cleaner on fiberglass, painted surfaces, gel coat, and metal. Unlike other similar solutions, this one is suitable to be applied on bottom paint.
- This product gets the job done quickly – just apply by sprayer or sponge, leave for two minutes, and then rinse it off.
- You will be surprised at how effective this cleaner is against all kinds of stains and deposits on your hull.
- Better Boat will return 100% of your money if you are not happy with the cleaner.
- Due to its chemical formula, this cleaner can harm your skin or eyes if it gets in contact with them. So it is recommended to wear gloves and glasses.
4. Star Brite Hull & Cleaner
If you want to eliminate all rust stains and bottom deposits from your boat, this may be the right product for you. This cleaner is intended to be used on fiberglass, aluminum, and all painted surfaces.
One of the many advantages of this cleaner is that it is eco-friendly due to the fact that it is water-based. This fact makes the detergent safer than other similar products. In addition to this, the Star Brite product eliminates wax and polishes the surface treated with it.
You can apply this cleaner by a sprayer, which is rated for acids. However, you should avoid spraying it onto your skin, clothes, or other surfaces. The manufacturer recommends you to follow the given instructions closely.
Another thing you should keep in mind is that this cleaner will kill the grass under the boat. So you should put something over the grass to protect it.
- Applying this cleaner is easy, as it can be done by sprayer.
- This product is very effective at removing stains and all kinds of deposits attached to the bottom of the boat.
- An advantage of this solution is that it is eco-friendly.
- If you need to remove wax from your boat, this may be the right product for you.
- You should use this cleaner only outdoors because of the strong acid smell that it produces. Another good idea is to have a respirator near you when you apply the solution.
5. Boater’s EDGE Hull Cleaner
This Boater’s EDGE product is intended to remove stains from painted surfaces, fiberglass, and metal. Moreover, this detergent achieves the necessary effects instantly. You will find applying this solution very easy as you don’t need to rub or scrub it.
People use this product as preparation for polishing the hulls of their boats. Apart from applying this detergent on boats, you can also use it to remove hard water or rust stains from sidewalks, tiles, bathrooms, and buildings.
Unlike most of the other hull cleaners, this one doesn’t contain any harmful acids. You can apply this detergent by sponge or sprayer. When you are done, you just need to rinse it off, which you can do by a hose. If there are some very thick stains on the hull, you can apply the cleaner a second time to make sure that the job is done effectively.
The manufacturers advise you to wear gloves and read the instructions carefully before you start applying the cleaner.
- This solution is effective against all kinds of stains on fiberglass, metal, or painted surfaces.
- Typically, it takes the cleaner just a few minutes to do the job effectively.
- You can use this product as preparation for polishing your boat’s hull.
- Applying the cleaner is effortless – use a sponge or sprayer, leave it for some minutes, and then rinse off.
- This cleaner doesn’t come with a spray attachment, which would be very convenient.
6. Star Brite Aluminum Cleaner and Restorer
This Star Brite restorer is intended to clean aluminum pontoon boats. A convenience is that this cleaner is equipped with a sprayer for easier application.
Star Brite cleaner is very effective at restoring stained or dull unpainted aluminum surfaces. The manufacturer recommends you to use Ultimate Aluminum Polish after using this solution.
Unlike other similar products, this one is created to be used on metal without harming it. Keep in mind that it is not advisable to use this cleaner directly on your lawn, as it may harm it because it contains acids. Also, avoid using this solution over concrete if you don’t want it to be dissolved. Do not use this restorer directly over water as it is a caustic acid, and it is harmful to the surrounding environment.
Before you apply the solution, wet the aluminum to make sure that the restorer will be evenly dispersed. After the application, rinse the product completely to prevent any residue.
- This Star Brite product restores effectively dull and stained aluminum surfaces.
- You will find the sprayer that comes with the cleaner very convenient to use.
- Thanks to its special formula, this restorer won’t harm the metal treated with it.
- The solution is appropriate for fast cleaning.
- This cleaner harms all other surfaces different than bare aluminum.
Who Needs a Boat Hull Cleaner? What are the Benefits?
Well, you probably already saw the answer to that question, and yes, it’s everybody that owns a boat. Of course, you do not need to clean the hull of your vessel, but then you will be the person with the filthy boat. And a dirty hull is just one step away from a damaged hull.
Boat care is vital, and it is not related only to looks and cosmetics. A well-maintained vessel will also last longer, and we at the Marine Mag know that from experience. Check out our page devoted to boat detailing and maintenance and see other products that will help you keep your boat in top condition.
So, let’s dive in the benefits of utilizing a boat hull cleaner:
- Everything that’s clean is also sturdier and plain healthier. It’s the same with every piece of machinery that we own. Your boat will be able to withstand more wind and sun when you make sure that the hull is sanitized.
Also, the bottom of the boat will be in top condition as well. This is why we recommend wiping your boat when it is out of the water. It’s best if you address every little part of the hull and especially the bottom as there are many benefits of cleaning it too.
- Performance of the vessel. This is not a joke. A clean boat will be able to cut through the water with additional ease. This is because filth will increase the friction between your boat and the water. Nothing in the world that is aerodynamic is also dirty.
- It will look good. Not everybody cares about how beautiful their belongings look, but the majority of people do. You simply cannot afford to show off with a dirty boat. Even though it spends time in the water, it doesn’t clean itself. Dust and particles will settle down and will inevitably mess up the good looks of your prized possession.
- What if you want to sell it? They say that a person is happy with their boat on two days in their life. The day you buy it, and on the day you sell it. Well, great, but how are you going to sell a vessel with a filthy exterior. It is proven that cleaning a boat increases its value. Don’t sleep on that.
The Most Popular Types of Boat Hull Cleaners
The solvent that you use to clean your boat may come in a few shapes and sizes. They are all viable options but depend on a few things – mostly on your own preference and the nature of the boat hull you are about to clean. These are among the basics of cleaning a boat. So now that we’ve gotten this out of the way let’s see what your option are in terms of substance.
- Gels – if you opt for such a solution, you probably have an aluminum or a fiberglass boat. This type of cleaning substance is good with smooth surfaces. Gels are quickly absorbed into the surface, and this is why using them on wood may not be a smart idea as you will get little coverage
Cleaning gels will rarely produce foam, and this is why we recommend you apply and spread them using a damp cloth. Using a brush on an aluminum boat is okay, but only if it a gentle one. Don’t be too aggressive with it as you may leave some scratches behind, and this would be disastrous.
- Liquids – these are perhaps the most popular type of detergents used for hull cleaning. Most products are meant to be mixed with water. This means that you can even power wash a boat using a bar of liquid soap, although that’s not a very popular thing to do.
Such substances are good with wooden boats. You get a lot of coverage from them, and you can even use a brush. Again, we recommend that you are gentle with it and never go overboard (pun intended).
- Powders – getting such a cleaning solution can be a little bit tricky as you always have to hit the right substance-to-water ratio. Sometimes powders are mixed with gels to form a paste. In any way, if you can feel the particles, that means they are not very well dissolved.
Utilizing powder can produce excellent results as it can remove even some very stubborn filth and particles. Knowing what to do is vital because you may end up damaging the hull.
- Spray cleaners – products of that type are relatively new to the market. They can be useful but definitely not on wood and definitely not in very spacious areas. Sprays tend to dry out relatively quickly, so you need to be quick to wipe them.
Some of the products will create foam, which can be seen as an advantage. Unfortunately, you may end up burning through cans quickly, meaning that you will need to spend more money on cleaners.
Features of Boat Hull Cleaners to Watch For
You can’t just blindly purchase a bottle of detergent for the hull of your boat. See what the most important aspects to bear in mind are.
- The material of your boat. Most boats nowadays will be aluminum or fiberglass. While both surfaces are smooth, you want to purchase a cleaning product suitable for the given material. This is because most solvents designated for metal may turn out to be too abrasive for a fiberglass surface.
When it comes to wooden boats, we recommend getting something specially designed to polish wood. This is the first step in determining the appropriate cleaning solution.
- This is not only about the ease of use but also about how the detergent is applied on the surface. Brushes are not always the most suitable tool, but sometimes you have to dig in and scrape.
- Read the instruction and the contents sheet carefully because you cannot risk the solvent damaging your boat. This is also important to your health. Some detergents may require the use of gloves and even goggles. Make sure you are aware of what inside that bottle and whether it is abrasive or not.
- Many people do not bother to find out how long it should take the detergent to fulfill its effect. Some inpatient fellas wipe the solution away too quickly only to find out that their hull is still dirty. You have to know what the response time of your solvent is.
How to Clean a Boat Hull
There is nothing special here, but you still have to follow the steps thoroughly.
- Rinse off the hull before doing anything else. You can use either a hose, a pressure washer, or simply a bucket of water to do so.
- Apply the detergent on the hull of the boat and follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Use a sponge, a piece of cloth, or a brush to spread the solution over the body of the vessel.
- Rinse everything off after scrubbing
- Polish your boat using a buffer. We recommend you check out our reviews of the finest boat buffers You can never have too many useful tools.
What Can I Use to Clean my Boat Hull?
If you are asking about the solvent, then simply scroll up and check out the top products that we have picked. Any of them will do the trick. And in case you wonder what tool you should utilize, then simply head to our reviews of the most trusted boat brushes and get the most appropriate item. We got you covered.
Best Boat Hull Cleaners Comparison Chart
|Star Bite Instant Hull Cleaner||$||32 oz.||Fiberglass, metal and painted surfaces||Does not contain harmful acids|
|Marykate On & Off Hull & Bottom||$$||32 oz.||Only on fiberglass||Won’t harm the gel coat|
|Better Boat Hull Cleaner||$||32 oz.||Fiberglass, metal, painted surfaces, and gel coat||Suitable to be applied on bottom paint|
|Star Brite Hull & Cleaner||$$||128 oz.||Fiberglass, aluminum, and all painted surfaces||Water based, environmentally friendly formula|
|Boater’s EDGE Hull Cleaner||$||32 oz.||Painted surfaces, fiberglass, and metal||Applying the cleaner is effortless|
|Star Brite Aluminum Cleaner and Restorer||$||64 oz.||Unpainted aluminum surfaces||Comes with sprayer|
Well, it looks like it is time to head out and start scrubbing that boat. At least we are positive that it would be easier for you to do it now that you possess the best boat hull cleaner. Don’t also forget to see if our articles may help you purchase other pieces of equipment for your vessel.
Until then, count on our boat hull cleaner reviews to steer you in the right direction when it comes to solvents. Send us any questions you might have as we appreciate any sort of feedback. Thanks for reading!