You love spending time on your boat, but you are fed up with getting sunburnt? We feel for you, and we agree that being exposed to the sun for a long time can be very harmful. Not to mention the unpleasant feeling when you get soaked because of unexpected heavy rain. Worry no more! Reading this article means that you are on your way to getting the best bimini top for your boat. Our guide will show you that this item is really worth it if you want to get protected from all types of weather conditions.
We do not expect you to be familiar with the characteristics of this product. So we have prepared some reviews on bimini tops to help you compare and contrast them and get the most suitable one for you and your boat. You will also find some tips on how to choose the boat cover, and how to use it properly to extend its life span. Read along and choose the right product!
Best Bimini Tops for Boats Comparison Chart
Leader Accessories Bimini Top
|View On Amazon|
Naviskin Bimini Top Cover
|View On Amazon|
MSC 3 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
|View On Amazon|
MSC 4 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
|View On Amazon|
XGEAR Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
|View On Amazon|
4 Seasons Bimini Top Boat Cover
|View On Amazon|
Best Bimini Tops – (Recommended Picks)
Check out the reviews of the products we have selected. Our crew has carefully researched the pros and cons of each unit.
1. Leader Accessories Bimini Top
This Leader Accessories bimini top comes with everything necessary, including the mounting hardware and the zippered storage boot. Moreover, the manufacturers also send instructions that are intended to teach you how to assemble the item.
You will probably find it beneficial that the mounting hardware is made of stainless steel and that the storage boot is color-coordinated with the rest of the bimini top. There are 13 colors and six different sizes of the product you can choose from. In addition to this, there are two fabric options – 600D solution-dyed fabric and marine-grade 600D polyester canvas.
Another advantage is that the stitching is double overlapped to add more durability. Thanks to the fact that the legs are double-walled, the aluminum frame is very sturdy and reliable. Also, two nylon straps are attached to the front and the rear part of the structure.
- Installing and assembling the structure is very easy.
- The fabric of the cover is of very good quality.
- You can choose from 13 colors and six sizes.
- This bimini top features double overlapped stitching for extra strength.
- A disadvantage is that the height of this bimini top is not adjustable.
- The instructions that come with the product are a bit challenging to understand.
This Naviskin bimini top features marine-grade 600D polyester canvas and PU coating. Thanks to its 1-inch diameter frame, which is made of aluminum, the construction is solid and durable. There are 13 different sizes and a variety of 10 colors you can choose from.
When you purchase this bimini top, you will also get the aluminum frame, a storage boot, and the mounting hardware. A definite advantage is that the mounting stainless screws come free of charge. Naviskin provides a 1-year warranty.
Assembling the unit is pretty easy as it is equipped with quick-release mounts. The material the cover is made of is waterproof, so you shouldn’t worry that the rain can damage your boat. Since this Naviskin bimini top can be dismantled entirely, you can use only the canvas if you wish. A drawback of this product is that the instructions that it comes with are very poor.
- You will find it easy to put together and install this item, thanks to the full package that includes everything that you need.
- The poles and the cover are very sturdy and durable.
- There are ten color options.
- You can either use the whole structure or just the canvas.
- The instructions coming with this product are not very detailed.
- Another disadvantage is that the stitches on the front and the back are only single.
3. MSC 3 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
Apart from being strong, the aluminum frame of this MSC 3 bimini top is also resistant to rust. This unit features marine-grade 600D polyester canvas and double PU coating. When you order this product, you also get a storage boot.
Unlike other similar items, this one is equipped with two rear support poles. All the necessary mounting hardware is included in the price of the product. So you won’t have to buy any screws, straps or hinges separately. You can mount this bimini top both vertically and horizontally.
There is a variety of sizes and colors you can choose from. Keep in mind that if you need to buy a replacement canvas, it would be cheaper to purchase a new complete top. Also, if you want to travel by boat and leave the bimini top up, you should be warned that it will wear out a lot faster.
- This bimini top has proved to be easy to install.
- Another advantage is that the rear poles take less space than the straps would have.
- You can install this item both horizontally and vertically.
- The product is offered in a range of colors and sizes.
- This product comes with plastic mounting hardware.
4. MSC 4 Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
What makes this MSC 4 bimini top different than other similar products is its storage compartment made of mesh, which aims at more convenience. The fabric part is made of marine-grade 600D polyester canvas, which has double PU coating. You can be sure that the frame is very reliable and robust. Apart from this, it is also anti-rust.
There are two rear poles which are intended to provide better support. The poles are 40 inches long, which includes the plastic tips which come at the end of each. Keep in mind that the rear supports have to stay upright in the storage boot, whereas the forward supports should be folded back.
If you don’t want to make a new hole in your boat, you can remove the attachment pieces and install quick release pins. When you order this product, you also get a storage boot. You can choose from a range of colors and sizes.
- The instructions coming with this product are simple and easy to follow.
- You will probably find the mesh storage compartment very convenient.
- This product is equipped with two rear poles, which are long enough to support the top.
- Installing the unit can be pretty quickly done.
- The mounting hardware is made of plastic, which is not considered a very durable material.
5. XGEAR Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover
This XGEAR bimini top comes with all the necessary parts, including the mounting hardware and a zippered storage boot. Unlike other similar products, this one features mounting hardware parts made of stainless steel. So you won’t have to replace them as you would do if they were plastic.
A significant advantage of this item is that its stitching is double overlapped, which means that it is stronger and more durable than other boat covers. Installing this bimini top takes only a few minutes. The fabric part is made of marine-grade 600D polyester canvas, which has proved to be a solid material when it comes to shading.
Thanks to its four nylon straps for the back and front, the frame of this construction is strong enough to protect your boat. You can choose from 10 colors and 13 sizes. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to mount the brackets of this bimini top on inflatable boats.
- This product comes at a very reasonable cost.
- Compared to other similar items, this one is better as its hardware parts are made of stainless steel.
- The construction is very durable and strong, which is ensured by the four nylon straps and the double overlapped stitching.
- It will take you only several minutes to install this item.
- This product doesn’t have rear supporting poles, and it relies only on the four nylon straps.
6. 4 Seasons Bimini Top Boat Cover
An advantage of this 4 Seasons is its anodized aluminum frame, which is proof that the structure is sturdy and durable. If you want to replace the poles with straps, you can do it. However, keep in mind that it is the poles that provide extra stability.
The support of the frame is ensured by two rear poles and two nylon straps, which have upgraded clips. Thanks to its 600D fabric, this bimini top is waterproof. When you purchase this product, you get a matching boot.
Another benefit of this product is that its mounting screws and the eye hooks for the straps are made of stainless steel. Moreover, the item features professional nylon fittings. In case you need to fold this bimini top flat, you can also do this. To be precise, this unit folds to about 6 inches and can lay flat on the rear deck.
- Installing the unit is very easy and quick, and there is no need for additional tools to put the structure together.
- This unit stays stable even at higher speeds of the boat.
- There are two poles and two straps to support the frame.
- You will receive a matching boot with the purchase of this bimini top boat cover.
- This bimini top comes only in five colors you can choose from.
How Do I Protect My Boat from the Sun?
Every reasonable human being tries to protect themselves from the harmful sun rays. There is a range of ways to do this. The most common one is to put some sunscreen on your skin. However, how do people protect their boats from the sun?
Keep in mind that if you do not take good care of your vessel, it won’t serve you for a long time. You have made such an investment with the purchase of your boat. So you will certainly not mind spending a bit more to make sure that it is well – maintained. There are several things you can do to protect your boat:
- Make sure it is clean – before you put any protectant on your vessel, you should ensure its cleanness. There are a lot of boat washes that you can use for this purpose. Remember that if the boat is not clean enough, the protectant cannot be absorbed into its surface.
- Use a protectant – it serves as sunscreen for your boat. You can get any cleaner wax to do so. This material will make your boat shiny, but at the same time, it will seal the surface and thus protect it from the harmful UV rays.
- Maintain your vessel in good condition – whenever you come back from your trip in the water, remove the dirt that the top surface has gathered, put some light wax on, and also some polymers to protect it from the sun.
- Get a boat bimini top – it will protect not only your boat but also yourself. Of course, it costs a lot to get such a piece of equipment, but it is worth it.
- There are different types of bimini tops – some provide full cover, others shield just part of the vessel. If by any chance you can’t find the product that meets your needs and requirements, don’t worry. You can get a custom bimini top for boats.
Warning! Some people use dishwashing soap to clean their boats! We advise you to avoid doing this, as it will strip off the wax and damage the vessel’s surface.
The time spent in the water affects the condition of any water equipment that you use. So it doesn’t matter if it is your boat, your surf, or your bodyboard – you need to take good care of it to extend its longevity. If you are interested in knowing how to select and protect your bodyboard from being exposed to the sun and water, read our detailed article, and enjoy the waves!
What is the Bimini Top?
Before deciding whether you need one, probably you would like to know what a bimini top is. Read the following part of our buying guide to find an answer to this question:
- A bimini top is most typically a metal structure that is covered by canvas.
- People put it on the cockpit of their boats to protect them from the sun or rain.
- The frames are usually made of stainless steel or aluminum. If your boat is a small one, it is advisable to get a bimini top with an aluminum frame, as it is light-weight. Vise versa, if you have a larger vessel, you need a structure made of stainless steel, which is heavier but endures the marine weather conditions better than the aluminum one.
- These types of products can be used on any boat.
- It is crucial to have a bimini cover on your boat so that you won’t get sunburnt or dehydrated.
- Using such a top on your vessel, you will be even able to use it in the rain.
We hope that now you are well informed on what a bimini top is, and why you need it to protect your boat. If you are curious to learn about other boat equipment and accessories, visit our homepage. There you can read our reviews on the top products and choose the ones that will contribute to your pleasant boat experience. You will also learn useful tips on how to choose, install, and maintain a variety of boat items.
How to Install a Bimini Top?
Once you have made up your mind and purchased this product, you will surely need some tips on how to install a bimini top. We have done some serious research, and we have contacted trustworthy experts to provide these useful steps. Follow them, and you will find installing a bimini cover a pretty easy thing to do:
- When you look at the reviews of the products that you consider buying, check if they come with a manual. Keep in mind that following the instructions as close as possible will save you a lot of time, energy, and effort. Some of the manufacturers send illustrated and detailed manuals on how to install a bimini top. Others can even offer a video showing the whole process with all the tricks you need to know.
- Once the product has arrived, unpack it and make sure that you have all the necessary parts. Then you need to assemble the bow pieces. Slide the left and right bow on to the middle one. When the holes have lined up, use screws to tighten them.
- The next step is to remove the fabric top from its case. Put the canvas on a clean surface, so that the pockets for the frame are facing up. See if these pockets have any buttons or zippers, and unbutton or unzip them. Now, you have to insert the bows into the pockets, button, or zip them up.
- Most of the bimini tops are equipped with straps that are intended to ensure more stability. If this is your case, then you need to attach them. You can do this by inserting the loop end of the strap through the cutouts of the front and rear pockets. Then put the hook end in the loop of the strap and pull tight.
- Whenever you have attached the straps, it is time to connect the eye ends to the secondary bows. Doing so, you will provide even more sturdiness. To do this, you need to remove the screws from their jaw slides. Then turn around the secondary bow, put the eye ends into the jaw slides. Check if the holes have lined up, and after that, insert the screws again and tighten them. This step should be repeated with each one of the secondary bows.
These are the most basic steps you need to follow to install the majority of bimini tops.
Now you know how to install a bimini top, and you are almost ready to embark on your journey on the water. However, there are still some other things that you need to be aware of. One of them is how to get an anchor windlass. Check our buying guide to get acquainted with this information so that you can be completely prepared to travel the seas.
Don’t let the sun or the rain damage your boat or affect the time you spend on it! Now you have the opportunity to look at the best bimini tops and get the one that will protect your vessel in the right way. After all, having a boat is not a cheap pleasure, so we are sure that you will do everything necessary to shield it from any harmful weather conditions.
The market is full of a great variety of vessel covers, and choosing the top one could take a lot of time. That’s why we have prepared reviews on bimini tops to help you with this process. Besides, you can find beneficial information in our buying guides. Visit our homepage to learn how to protect your boat, as well as what a bimini top is and how to install it. Thanks for reading, and as always – stay put!